PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2001, 13:06
Vfrpilotpb

Senis Semper Fidelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Re the situation with mast-bumping/chopping of your tail boom, I fly very carefully, having read and re-read all of the journals especially the comments on Pprune from you very experienced pilots regarding the problems with Neg G on teetering head heli's, however my question is:-
If Neg G is entered, whether purposefully or by accident of the operating pilot, does anyone know what the time scale of incident is likly to be between entering Neg G and mast or tail separation, and if one did unfortunatly enter into Neg G, is that it, all over in say one, two or three seconds, or would you be able to recover to land back at base, or would it be to land urgently, and if having landed back at base, would that Heli then need a severe strip down check or would it be safe for the next flight?
I realise these may be "Crystal Ball" questions, but what I am trying to see is where are the limits to mast bumping/neg G, and could it be another flight/pilot that gets the prize, that has been lined up by an earlier incident?