PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 13th Aug 2005, 22:40
ARINC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post for me here I'm not qualified to comment on the airmanship or ATC involved in this.

However I did want to highlight the use of Automatic Dependant surveilance broadcast software ( ADS-B) this is basically an addon for TCAS 2000/3000 T2CAS. It's a software enhancement that uses Surface area movement management and spacing techniques to provide clear indications to crew of runway incursions on the ground and/or spacing problems in the approach phase. The display can be dedicated or used as part of an EFB.

Some features :-

On the ground runway incursions typically produce a red marked runway on an airport plan depiction

In the approach phase it will greatly improve CDA's and typically provide 90 sec spacing in good wex and 105 Sec spacing in poor wex. The system gives you the speed distance and identity of the A/C in front and will also provide speed commands. Slow down Speed up . You never know we might even get to the point where we don't need controllers. Just really good pilots. In fact we might not even need them. Just really good engineers...

and UPS are testing it next year.

Last edited by ARINC; 13th Aug 2005 at 22:54.