PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S76 down in Baltic Sea (Now incl NTSB Safety Recommendation)
Old 13th Aug 2005, 21:54
xano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all thanks to everybody who have had the time to answer my questions or otherwise commented this accident.

Helsingin Sanomat (mostly reliable source) now reports that the plane has both CVR and FDR that will be flown to US to be analyzed. They quote Effie Lorende Ward from NTSB. What is weird is that the Estonian prosecutors now do not allow that even though they can not read it in Estonia. First of all the reason is because US is the manufacturers home country and secondly because of the distance to be flown.

A preliminary report should come out at 10th of September while the final report should take about a year. Helsingin Sanomat also quote Estonian investigation commission member Tõnu Ader that three floats did not float and nothing indicates that there was any pilot input for the floats nor should the floats operate automatically. I wish someone familiar with S-76 could comment on that. Also now the investigators are not anymore sure if all the passengers had their seatbelts fasten.

To Martin 1234: Your second example ( 1 pilot scenario) is actually something the investigators have been looked at and they believe that there was 2 pilots based on surveillance camera pictures and that both pilots passports have been found. I am sure that passengers of earlier flights have also been asked.

To Aser: Finnrotor.com has a good translation. What I would like to add is that Iltalehti is a tabloid so take it whit a grain of salt what they write. The only reason I posted that site was because of the pictures. What you write is quite interesting at least for me. I would like to know your view. If not on this site please PM me.

To Finnrotor.com: What do you mean by "quality" conversation? After all this is as good as it gets. Many of the posts have been quite good in my opinion. In about a week the media will forget this accident but many of us will never forget it. I don’t have any agenda neither for the company nor against it. All I am interested is to get views from pilots, mechanics etc. to find out what happened. After all I believe that this is the best site for that purpose. I know I should wait for the final report but we are all humans and we all are eager to know what happened. Safe flying.