PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Pilot Attitudes
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2005, 10:46
elektra

QF Pilot Attitudes - QF PILOTS IGNORE!!

Minding my own business today somewhere south of Cairns when two Qantas aircraft (well I think that one was Australian or some sort of QF half-breed subsidiary-I've lost count) and the other one a mainline version) got into some sort of bickering over DME distances and such and who was in fact number one in the sequence. After the ATC controller (who yes, was a woman) sorted them out as to how things were going to be handled from her (the professional flow person) perspective the QF pilot said sourly "Well a little notice would have helped".

Yes folks, now ATC do the thinking ahead, not QF pilots. But that is not where the story really starts. (Yes that's a Goon Show line and I'm not quite sure why starting this thread put me in mind of that particular comedy). Then, after a minute or two one or the other of the two Rat brands said, again sourly,"Never argue with a woman". The other, all boys together, agreed. Nasty...and don't get twisted about it, I am not that smart but they weren't trying JUST to be funny, it was very clearly meant and the tone said it all.

Could guys like that just get over it. Please. The comments were demeaning and unprofessional. And, having just perused the "Qantas a/c lands in fog" thread: are we now to assume that Qantas pilots have things "happen" to them, but never create their own reality. (Yes,in a 727 I would have passed the slower a/c miles before so there was no doubt, but those days have gone sadly)

I am not a QF basher....but those quality QF drivers out there, and there are obviously lots, are being dragged down by those who somehow think they're superior and can have a go at the professionals in ATC who do a difficult job as well as they can.

I had a very long blue water trip still to complete when all this happened and could do little about it except to write it up here on Prune.Now I'm in the pub a very long way from OZ, reflecting on how things have changed since I left to work overseas years ago.

It was not very nice. And those concerned could do a lot worse than apologize to the controller concerned for a piece of macho sexist arrogance.

Last edited by Woomera; 21st Aug 2005 at 13:55.