PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2005, 07:03
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Morning, PSOs!

When did the stupid idea to 'stream' students based on their UAS flying begin? Doubtless it was introduced by someone who had no idea of the time management pressures faced by undergraduates at many universities.

If they're content with a degree in 'media studies' or similar, they can probably make sufficient progress to be marked up as having 'fast jet' potential. Whereas if they're doing Aero Eng at Impossible College and have to get to Wyton to fly.......

If the increased workload of the EFT course on undergraduates combined with the demands of their degree courses puts them under unacceptable pressure - well, it was hardly the fault of the undergraduates that such a course was introduced! To say that this then makes UAS flying non-cost effective is a facile comment; and 'access' to a mere 10 hours flying instruction per annum is hardly going to attract many folk, I would venture to suggest. If a student arrived at a UAS, as I did, already in possession of a JAR-FCL PPL, then 10 hours wouldn't even be sufficient keep it valid in its second 12 month period if revalidating by experience!

I understand that this daft new proposal was supposed to commence in September this year - is that still the case or has the whole ridiculous notion been rightly $hitcanned?

Of course as mere civilian filth it's none of my business (apart from a burning desire to see the UASs survive), but go back to unstreamed, 30:30:20 at UAS, then BFTS for all pilots on the Tucano after IOT, I say! It worked well for about 30 years......