PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Add 5 Kts for X-Wind Landing??
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2005, 00:12
Ace on Base

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Add 5 Kts for X-Wind Landing??

I dont know if this has been done before, but I am curious as to where this practice came from, why, and the aerodynamic benefit from additional speed on Vref.

I am led to believe it was a standard practice for a major (now kaput) Australian Airline, if so, why? Also, what other airlines use this practice?

Was or is there an advantage for adding 5 kts for a Jet, If so, is there an advantage for adopting this practice in prop driven twins (turbine or other)? Is this practice adopted by crew of turboprop aircraft over 5700kg (ie metro, saab, braz etc)?

Does this practice have anything to do with wind shear possibility close to Vref, spool-up times, blanketing effect of the wing on the lee side of the fusalage, or to cater for wind gusts? Additionally, what was the x-wind components that would warrent an increase in Vref ie wind speed and angle to direction of flight path?

I am really interested in the reasons and theory behind this practice, I do recall reading somewhere (possibly in "handling the big jets") about this practice. I dont have a copy handy, so if someone could advise as to the concept behind - this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ace