PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I get to Le Touquet without any hassle
Old 11th Aug 2005, 22:57
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Lawyer and IO

I'm going to take issue with your answer to (2) - the matter of French speaking.

NOTAM: B3191/05 From: 2005-Jun-14 Tue 00:00 To: 2005-Sep-14 Wed 23:59
ICAO: LFAT LE TOUQUET

CTR HOURS OF ACT : MON, TUE, THU, FRI, SAT : 0700-1800 OUTSIDE THESE HOURS, CTR
DOWNGRADED TO CLASS G AIRSPACE, AD CONTROL NOT PROVIDED
As IO540 points out - the only airfields where you speak French are those without ATC - which is exactly what Le Touquet is on Wednesdays and Sundays at the moment.

This also means that there may be nobody to close your Flight Plan automatically (although the staff in the terminal can probably do that for you). Make sure it's done, otherwise the French will start Search and Rescue action and you will get a bill!

As for the other answers.

1. Who should you talk to?

As has been mentioned, London info up to the FIR boundary. Having said that if you can't get a word in edgeways then just listen out and keep your eyes open. If you have a second box then dialling up 121.5 ready in case you need help is always a good move. Lille, due to staffing aren't interested in you - so on crossing the boudary you might as well go atraight to Le Touquet.

Don't do what most Brits do on their first time across and fly according to the quadrantal rule - it doesn't exist in France. If you're VFR it's semi-circular +500ft.

3. Is it worth going on a Sunday?

No - I'd go Saturday and get there before the market shuts