PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra Swansong
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 20:49
recceguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote : "Which Jaguars took part in both Gulf Wars? It certainly wasn't the French, and it wasn't ours "

In 1991 (the real Gulf War) two Wings of French Jaguars (the 7° from Saint-Dizier AB, and the 11° from Toul AB) took part in the action, with aircraft detached from that total of six squadrons (roughly 20 aircraft ) They did attack the Koweiti airports the very first morning at low level... amongst the casualties was the famous one of the pilots's helmet crossed by a machine-gun bullet, just above the eyebrows - the blood-covered Captain managed to bring his aircraft back. After that they focused on bombing the Iraqi armored divisions which were digged in the desert North of Basrah.
By contrast the two FAF Mirage F1 Squadrons brought in the Gulf were only cleared to enter the action after the IAF Mirage F1 had disappeared from the skies....

So little passpartout before making comments - know the facts.

I was fortunate to fly an exchange tour in the RAF - for the Canberra I would have swimmed across the Channel - but instead I got my first knowledge of the wonderful Jag.... I also flew Hunter, Hawk... and the Shackleton !

And when I got my wings 25 years ago, I had Iraqi cadet pilots in my Sqn, flying AlphaJet also... they were really nice guys. I still remember one of our instructors, having said good bye to them, and learning some months after that one he especially disliked... had shot down an IIAF F14 !