PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Launches 8 New Routes To Britain
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 19:34
7006 fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very painful subject to contemplate. The attack was dreadful but life must go on. The Government wants to promote England as safe and so forth, we are as vulnerable as any other country. Did the Sharm el Shiek attack result in additional promotion of the resort, did Beslan result in 'come to Russia' and so forth... A few years ago the UKwas being hit by bombs, Manchester, Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Baltic Exchange, introduction of the 'wall of steel' in the City of London, none of these resulted in such adverts (to my recollection)
The adverts are not in the best taste but they do conjour a bit of the 'feeling on the street'.
Although historic, is it any worse than the Carling advert 're-enacting' the Dambusters raid, if I were a decsendent of a family who drowned in the bursting of the Mohne or Sorpe dam I might feel a little upset that the action was being used to promote alcohol. (not suggesting the action was a war crime, at the time the country was at total war and any method was considered fair). Or is it fair game to use the opposition/loser for promotional purposes.Not trying to start an argument or anything. Just grateful that the United Kingdom is a country where we are granted the right of freedom of speech (provided one does not say anything to upset anyone who is not of Anglo-saxon descent!!)