PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Academic Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 14:18
arpansingla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are A levels a definate requirement?

Hello fellow Ppruners!

I am currently 16 and will be 17 on the 27th November. I will shortly receive the results for my GSCE examinations. Flying commercially is something i definately want do without a doubt, i have had a trial lesson and this confirmed my wish to fulfil my dream.

I am thinking about going onto an integrated flight training scheme whereby they only require you to be 17 years of age and have had 5 GCSE passes (C or above) preferably in maths and physics. Without tempting fate too much i think i can safely say i will have fulfilled these requirements by November 27th 2005.

If i were to be succesful in obtaning a class one medical and passing their selection do you think it would be wise to go onto the course without having done any a levels? How important is having done a levels? Are they a requirement for employment with airlines and also do they help you with the atpl theory work?

I know many of you will talk about the issues of maturity but i feel i am a mature person for my age and will continue to develop this if i were to participate in the course.

The reason why i am keen to skip a levels is because i want to start flying commercially as soon as possible and am not sure if a levels would be an unnecessary waste of 2 years.

Your views will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Arpan