PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC - Disaster Entry Captain??
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 11:39
330 Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omark44,

Good observation. I have stated here many times that I am against the DEC program, but this last incident is not a DEC issue. I know the Capt personally on the last incident and he is a former TRE/Flight Standards Captain on the 737, TRI on the 767, FAA air safety award recipient, with over 18000 hours, almost all with a major airline in jets. He is no slouch. The F/O was a local, former UEA military. Contrary to what is posted on the big white board in CBC, they DID NOT use the numbers for takeoff on 12L while taking off on 12R. They ran the numbers for 12R and the Boeing computer told them 12R was sufficient. I also heard from one of the safety guys that they did not rotate early, and cleared the end of the runway at 50 feet. That is the required screen height for 2 engines.

This entire incident and investigation is a result of the captain filing an ASR. We all need to think about that. He is facing a deciplinary hearing as a result of telling on himself, because no one else told on him. Is that what the ASR program is here for? If we are facing action by filing an ASR we will all think twice before filing one. In the end the ASR is our most valuable tool for safety, but we should not face termination for filing one.

Hopefully when this case is over the company will come clean and allow all of us to learn from it. If it can happen to this experienced crew it can happen to anyone. If we can all be better pilots at the end of the day due to this last incident, then it was not all bad.

Regards,

330 Man