PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New routes for Bristols new extension
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 10:49
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This threads gone a bit dead lately, someone must have some sort of rumour, i think i'm gona make one up ummmmmmmmm actually cant be bothered!
Don't have any rumours but there is another thread about BACx that talks about reductions at MAN and BHX (announcement supposedly imminent) but BRS hasn't been mentioned. Whether this is because it is too small a BACx base to merit even a rumour in the grand scheme of things, or whether it will be left unscathed will probably soon be revealed.

When I first came on this MB there were numerous confident 'reports' that the BRS base would be closed. In fact, since then it has grown with more based a/c and more routes, and it is reputedly profitable.

I was at Cardiff the other day and Aer Lingus staff were having a look around. Maybe the daily "fungus" is about to go over the bridge.....
Last year BRS-DUB (EI and FR) carried 254,000 scheduled pax and CWL-DUB (FR and 6G) carried 100,000 sched pax. (I have been told on this MB that figures can be 'tweaked' so I give these CAA official stats with that warning).

Taking the figures at face value, it either means BRS has a much bigger market or CWL is underserved. Perhaps an EI from CWL would be in addition to BRS not instead of. However, as the FR flights to both airports will shortly be the larger 738s permanently that might provide enough extra seats for any expansion.

Also got wind of an EK recruitment day in Cardiff somewhere next week, lucky buggers if they 'land' an EK deal in CWL.......
There was a programme on telly a few weeks ago that said that by 2015 Dubai will be the largest holiday destination in the world.

If that is the case we could probably expect flights from most UK regional airports by then. At present Egypt seems to be getting more and more regional flights, so it would not be unreasonable to expect Dubai to be the same if it does become that big, runway lengths not withstanding.