PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 03:21
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

qsyenroute: Quite true. I can't remember reading about bad weather at an airport where the Approach or Tower Controller told an aircraft not to take off or land. Unless high winds frighten the guys/gals in the tower (as happened at Hartford "Windsor Locks" when they left-just before a large jet on a VOR approach scraped the trees on a hill ), ATC is apparently NOT allowed to stop a takeoff or landing. Is it? Other than a truck or aircraft not sufficiently clear of a runway (or approach interval), this would be new to me.

Again, none of us know all of the facts concerning the accident at Toronto, and have no idea what information was available to the Air France crew. Each situation on departure/arrival which consists of convective weather is unique. Nobody can forecast the rate of increase or anything else. I've never experienced strong thunderstorms anywhere in Canada-although I have flown only a limited number of legs up there.

My previous remarks reflected my observations that years ago, Captains almost never seemed to ask FOs whether he/she did not like a worsening situation, i.e. increasingly uncomfortable turbulence in springtimer cells, or on a long glideslope with a line of weather (and on radar) which is coming towards the localizer. The first time I remember it was with a lady Captain on a Bandeirante and she did not want to return to the departure airport (plenty of fuel with ok weather behind us), I suppose, without asking if I found the chop unpleasant with more small bumpy clouds on radar in front of us. Who knows? Maybe CRM was created because male pilots don't want to admit certain feelings to others, or seek ideas (advice)?? They might not get lost as often when driving in a different city, but when it happens, they might around longer, especially seated next to a female.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 11th Aug 2005 at 03:42.