PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax Going Hungry on BA (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 00:09
View From The Ground

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Predictable

As I put in my original post this event or at least some disruption to catering was entirely predictable! Troubles at Gate Gourmet were the front page headline in Skyport, and if BA's supply chain management were not aware that is a huge failure on their part.
There was enough time to arrange SOME contingency cover for catering or have some kind of stand by plan. As I also stated in my original post when I originally heard about this the story I heard was that BA had some alternative catering arranged, however BA's unionised staff were refusing to deal with aircraft that were catered by a Company other than Gate Gourmet, effectively supporting the action of the catering staff.
So as I see it there are two scenarios...1 BA knew, made arrangements, but were stymied by the Unions...Plus ca change!! or 2 BA were either not aware or were aware and had done little to plan for this eventuality....
Having said that if the event happened this afternoon it would take time for BA to put any contingency plans into effect, so I think we will get the real answer to how BA managed the problem tomorrow when we can see whether flights are still going out without food...or if they have managed to make some provision for their pax.
On the lighter side...in economy....the pax would be better off eating at the airport restaurants with BA vouchers than eating airline food...