PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster/Finningley (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2005, 00:07
onion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Dearne Doncaster is definatley not seen as the gateway to the North East. I should know. I'm from the North East and if any town has the right to claim that title is definatley not doncaster. The North East actually starts on the North Side of the river Tees so all those in Middlesborough are actually from Yorkshire, which insidentily is the county where I live and am proud of it. Im also proud of the fact that I was born in County Durham and therefore the North East. It is true that the North according to the road signs actually starts at Scotch Corner. Doncaster on the other hand is south of the Humber and so I think in the Midlands.
Yorkshire is a county where as the Midlands is a region and there can be overlapping in this. Yorkshire and the Humber may be classed as a region but you try explaining to the people of North Yorkshire, especially those around Swaledale and the very north of North Yorkshire why they see little if any of the funds that are currently being pumped into the so called Yorkshire and Humber region. Really North Yorkshire is big enough to be classed as a region all on it's own. To me anyone south of the Humber is a midlander/southerner. Anyone trying to claim they are northerners from south of the Humber are imposters trying to make themselves sound ard. Although Yorkshireman are a breed apart, salt of the earth.
Airhumberside if the goverment boundaries are what you are going by why isn't MME, Darlington. MIddlesborogh, Richmond, Newcastle, Sunderland etc in the Northern Way Scheme? Alot further North than DSA. I'm sorry your argument is floored just calling something Northern doesn't automatically make it Northern.
By the way if people from Northern Scotland get involved in this argument we are all screwed