PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2001, 19:17
RW-1

Thanks Heloteacher and Whirly,

Doris: I solicited responses because that is just what one is doing referencing outside. Lack of visual clues at night tend to make you do things you wouldn't do if you had more references. In the case of your turn on the road, what would you do if you can no longer see the edge of the road to reference?
(IMO It's not like driving a car, if I think about moving the steering wheel in a car, I have thought about it, if one thinks in certain heli's about moving the cyclic, you've just moved it enought to affect a change.)

Anyway, as I stated in my post, I corrected my issue, I wanted to see how others were coping with it, and offered the altitude comfortability issue as another topic we could engage in.

Helo, I like altitude too, but boy I was not ready for the wide view, and not having doors likely doesn't help me any but I'm up to 2K FT now, and trying to get used to it. Rob my CFI wants to hit 5K one day himself

We get a lot of low vis days here, and occasionally I get up at night, I know what you mean going into a sparse lit area, it's like a lack hole, plus I fly on the coast, one side: nice, lit, etc. Other side: ocean, few liners lit, etc. In short - hole.
Every time we go up for night time, at least Doug and Rob have had me do several circles begining out to the ocean to both learn to get a feel for reduced ref's, and I'll tell you it's a confidence builder too!

------------------
Marc

[This message has been edited by RW-1 (edited 03 January 2001).]