PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2005, 19:07
Elmlea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh?

I was quite content doing UAS EFT, and didn't want to go DE at all. I was happy as a sponsored stude, doing the 90-hour UAS course, and didn't think for a second about how I'd be compared to JEFTS blokes during streaming. I certainly have no issues with them; there weren't DE flights while I was on a UAS!

My point about UAS studes doing 60 hours now alongside DE guys is perfectly valid; and is one of the thrusts of this whole thread! The fact I was getting a degree at the same time was countered by an extra 30 hours at least. Now, the guys get nothing extra; they do the same course, to the same standards, and have their reports written by the same QFIs; so they struggle through with poor continuity and no pay, knowing their entire career path rests on their performance?

Anyway, if you disagree with that, there're enough posts on the pages above discussing that. I don't think it's right to send a uni stude through a course part-time, unpaid, and during uni over three years that he'd otherwise polish off as a full-time job, on full pay, in 4 months.

I like the idea of a common EFT post-IOT; but I don't like the idea of UASs disappearing. From what I've seen, we used to have it right; a short EFT course for non-flyers, and a free-for-all UAS course. Afterwards, everyone does a BFT Tucano/JP course, with a slightly different start depending on your background. Stream after a few hours there, then keep the FJ guys on to do more.