PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2001, 04:32
RW-1

Cool Night Approaches

Any one else notice a unconcious tendancy to pull more aft cyclic on a night approach? (lit or unlit pad)

I went last week, and dound myself around 100FT with AS headed down the tubes.

The only thing I could figure was with reduced references gave me a feeling that I was higher and I would unconciously add more aft than I normally would. (I first believed I wouldn't be doing this in response to reduces references, as that would make me think I'm slow too, which wasn't happening, or at least I wasn't reacting to a perceived slow condition)

Glideslope was not a problem at the time but I could see the issues that could develop being low on AS at that point in an approach.

After discussing it with my CFI and knowing I might be doing that, the next ones were great.

On another point we had a round table discussion, some CFI's and I about altitude and flying, I know why 2k makes me some what uncomfortable in the aircraft unlike a plane, and until Shumpei brought it out I would have never have looked at it this way:

75 kias at 500 ft - > you look and feel like you are doing 75knots.

75 kias at 2k ft or higher - > you feel like you are not moving at all (heck at 3k prepping for VTR demo I felt we were already stopped!), don't get the visual you get lower, wondered if anyone shared that thought.

Anyone have any night time stories of similar nature?

------------------
Marc