PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2005, 15:07
Rockhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re Dr Dave's and qsyenroute posts: People are becoming seriously confused here. AF 358 received landing clearance from ATC. It appears that, had it touched down at or near the threshhold, none of us would be pontificating on page 31 or whatever of this thread, for the simple reason that the thread would not exist because the aircraft would have stopped well before the end of the runway, as it does 9999 times out of 10000.
Speaking of pontificating, the IMPETUS file that TheShadow brought up is right up there near the front. As I started reading it, my eyes glazed over but I did notice that the recounting of the QF1 @ BKK overrun was highly oversimplified. In that incident, when the FO, who was PF, was about to land long the captain ordered a go-around and the FO began to comply. As the wheels touched, the captain, without announcing that he was taking control, decided to countermand his own order and complete the landing, so retarded the throttles, which had just been advanced to TOGA power by the FO, with the inevitable result that they ran out of runway. It was a total breakdown of CRM. No fancy computer program is going to prevent that.
Rockhound