PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The venerable Bell 47
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2005, 05:45
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not been sworn to secrecy about this- and I have heard it from two different (and reliable sources). But I feel as if I'd be betraying a number of confidences if I give all the details this prematurely. But let us consider a couple of things:

1. While Bell's legal department wishes the 47 would just go away, there are many within the company who still love the 47 and don't want to see it die.

2. There are many within the helicopter industry who love the 47 and wish it were in production again.

A deal is supposedly (not "supposably") in the works. Nothing is certain. But the fact that there is even a "deal in the works" is astounding. The bad news is- it may very well fall through. The good news is that there is at least a possibility that we'll see a version of the 47 back in production. The bad news is that even if the deal was signed tomorrow, it would take a long time before the production line was up and running. (I could tell you how many of the first production run are committed already to buyers IF the line gets restarted, but I'd have to kill you.)

Mark my words, Bell will NEVER just sell the T.C. to any old buyer, then send them off with tractor-trailer loads of tooling and parts and a hearty "Good luck with our legacy!" But we shall see.

Now for a bit of speculatin' on the part of the #1 PPRUNE FAN: Everyone wants the classic "goldfish bowl" 47 (D through G-series) to come back. PF#1 would suggest a "better" idea would to bring back the 47H-1. The what? They only made about 38 of this model, s you're forgiven if it's unfamiliar. Kind of looks like a 47J, but with a three-across cabin and, get this, a baggage compartment! Take that, R-22. Of course, the H-model only was produced with the Franklin engine, so an updated drivetrain would have to be bolted in, but how hard would that be?

Ah, but I'm getting dreamy on ya. Speaking of dreaming...

Ironically, I did get to fly a 47 recently. Had not been in one in...ohh...twenty-five years, literally. Had to get in this one and start it and fly it as if I knew what I was doing. And you know what? It all came back, and it was a BLAST! I'd forgotten how much fun they are to fly, sloooooow, sloppy cyclic and all. The current owner has this one up for sale. Almost makes me wish...nah, better just stop that. I could afford it but I'd have a hard time justifying it. And believe me, I've already been down that route a time or two.

But I digress. Anyway 47 fans, keep your fingers and toes crossed. And remember, you heard it here first.