PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs for pilots 30+
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2005, 21:17
window-seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked the same question when I started flying in 2000 realising that I would be in my early thirties when finally qualified, but my ego got the better of me and I gained my PPL age 29! I then went on to gain my fATPL in 2003 age 31. With no sniff of a job, I worked in an office 4 days per week to pay for a roof over my head and an FI course (you have to keep flying)!!!

I did manage to secure a couple of interviews through sheer determination, and found myself in two holding pools where I swam around for months and months! In the meantime I had started instructing part-time, which was good fun. Then out of the blue another interview turned up, which led to the right seat of a regional TP at the ripe old age of 32. Now after 10 months flying 'around' the weather, I am about to be let loose in a jet at age 33!

I know many pilots in their 30's and some in their 40's (and 1 or 2 a bit older than that) who have managed to achieve the dream. I do however know it becomes harder to get that first position once you get towards 40, but if like me, you don't want to be thinking 'what might have been'? for the rest of your days, then the sooner you get going, the better!!

Just be under no illusion, there are no guarantees in aviation and with such massive financial responsibility, the risks do for some, out-way the possible gains

Good luck

W-S