PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2005, 21:09
Malissa Fawthort

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what would you think if – hypothetically – the new system came into being and – hypothetically – it was supposed to save some £3M by saving on the number of QFIs in the system as a whole and – hypothetically – it was decided that the numbers of QFIs saved would have to be reduced because it was realised that – hypothetically – they needed more QFIs on each AEF to provide the training for the UAS students which would – hypothetically – include solo sorties and, therefore – hypothetically – the savings were not as great as expected because the BM “report to end all reports” had not taken this into account?

And what would happen if it was – hypothetically - recommended in the BM “report to end all reports” that it was necessary to reform No 1 AEF at St Athan because – hypothetically – it was not possible under the new system to have a UAS without an AEF. How much do you think it would cost to persuade DARA and VT Aerospace to – hypothetically - change to 7 day operations because you can’t run an AEF without operating at weekends because (guess what) that’s the only time that ATC cadets can fly because they are at school during the week and St Athan currently only operates Monday to Friday (except during the winter period when they do work on Saturdays). I wonder if that would erode some of the “savings” and I wonder if anybody has started contract negotiations with DARA and VT Aerospace to cater for this added requirement?

Oh – and I wonder what extra savings would be accrued by increasing the Adventurous Training budgets on the UASs to try to give SOME reason for Uni students to join the UASs? I also wonder what would happen if those Uni students who had taken the time and effort to become qualified as “leaders” (mountain, canoeing etc whatever) were told that they would be expected to “lead” expeditions as much as was required but that they would not be paid more than the thirty-something days per year currently permitted, even though the UAS would remain within its total pay budget by paying them whenever they were required to “lead”. Do you think they would decide to continue to “lead” AT detachments because they loved the life or would they say “sod you – pay me for when I work or I won’t work more than the days you pay me”? If the latter, who would “lead” the extra AT expeditions that will have been funded?

Just a few interested questions you know - hypothetical of course.

Last edited by Malissa Fawthort; 10th Aug 2005 at 04:04.