PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway Corner
Thread: Rotorway Corner
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2001, 09:16
helisphere

I was flying the R22 long before that AD was issued, in fact it was 1992 when I performed those maneuvers with another helicopter pacing me. If I was flying one today I would not hesitate to do those maneuvers again.

One thing for Lu. This is just for your information, because I did not think of it earlier and I don't think you have considered it. I will not however be arguing back and forth with you about it.

It takes us back to the "massive pitch coupling" problem that you say the R22 would have if flown with a 90 deg pitch horn.

Have you considered the rotor system on the AH-1 huey cobra? It is really quite similar to the Robinson rotorhead design. It is a two blade teetering rotor and the blades are also FREE TO CONE. They are free to cone via a flexible hub design instead of the coning hinges on the Robinson. The dynamic results are the same though. I am not sure though if it has a 90 deg pitch horn, or some other. If it is 90 degrees, that means that when the blades on a cobra, cone, they will also increase pitch. This of course happens because the pitch horn is not inline with the theoretical axis of coning. This is exactly like the R22. So, why is the Hueycobra able to fly just fine with out a "massive pitch coupling" problem?

If the cobra has a different lead angle on the pitch horn then this would make it more similar to the way an R22 actually is.

Either way it seems to me that you should be writing all kinds of letters to Bell, the Army, National Guard, and Marine corps warning them of the inherent danger in flying this rotor system.