PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blob of bird on flap, common occurrence?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2005, 16:00
OlaM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blob of bird on flap, common occurrence?

Mid-July I flew with Norwegian from Stansted to Flesland after attending the magnificent Flying Legends 2005 show.

I sat just behind the starboard wing and when the flaps deployed fully for landing I noticed a blob of feathers and blood on the flap.

It was on the inner section, creeping out on top of the rear most panel. I couldn't see any damage to the panel but it was pretty obvious that the feathered aviator had passed pretty close to the engine and that its remains had been there since at least the landing at Stansted.

I wanted to take a pic but my camera was in the overhead compartment and my trembling fear of cabin crew authority prevented me from unbuckling and retrieving it during the approach.

While disembarking I told the stewardess who opened the cockpit door so I could tell the F/O. He looked at me like I was trying to explain quantum mechanics through yodeling. I mentioned the exact location and that panel seemed undamaged, he shrugged and thanked for the info.

Questions:

How common are birdstrikes really?

If a bird is lodged between the two rearmost flap panels, will it be completely hidden from inspection when the flaps are retracted? (737)

Since it hit the flap in landing config, it's obvious that it was sitting there for at least one turn around. How often will the flaps get inspected fully extended?