PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making sense of where to aerobat and what to wear
Old 9th Aug 2005, 11:04
Miserlou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I started flying skydivers I quickly discarded the 'chute because it made the shoulder strap rub on my neck. I reasoned that the irritation was more likely to cause me to screw something up than the risk of having to use it.

A month or two later an instructor asked me to reconsider and told me about a video he had seen of a Pilatus which got a static-line student hit the tailplane. Due to the twisting of the fuselage and the tumbling of the aircraft most of the remaining jumpers and the pilot were killed. That it to say, skydivers sitting beside a big, open door, and having the intention (and experience) of jumping were unable to do so!

I chose to wear it 'off the shoulder' thereafter in such a way that it would not fall off but didn't interfere.

For aeros, I wear one if it's there but don't if it ain't. And I wouldn't aerobat anything which I wouldn't aerobat without one.

Incidentally, my bale-out procedure for the Decathlon involves me turning round and grabbing the passenger as I roll out backwards. But who knows how it will actually be?

Final point, if I am wearing a 'chute I always leave the aircraft with it on. That way you only ever undo the aircraft 's harness whilst seated.

Re. area. You have no control whatsoever once you have left the aircraft (which is may be why you left in the first place) os good practice says the least populated area you can find. And line features are always good.