PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2005, 08:28
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Although I am NOT suggesting that it was a crew mistake to attempt the approach and landing, there was a tragedy in an MD-82 years ago at Little Rock, where the Captain (who died) was a Chicago Chief Pilot and the FO was on probation (in his first year at the airline). As many of you know, the Captain and some pax died. Thunderstorms were all around the airport, and I doubt that either pilot verbalized the option of just avoiding the destination and waiting a short while nearby-but I can not remember. Their fuel status might have been a factor, and their long duty certainly was a factor.

Men, maybe more than women, find it hard to admit that they find a situation makes them uncomfortable, or factors are outside their "personal limits" and might be competitive with each other, wanting to face a challenge, i.e. a very gusty crosswind with heavy rain very close to the airport.

Again, I have no idea about the c0ckp1t options discussed before the Toronto accident, or whether the FO even stated the possibility of avoiding the airport for a while. But weather can change very fast, to the extent that none of us can realistically guess.