PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 pilot please
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2005, 22:48
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philip, it's a misconception that at some period, 'aviation was worth getting into, but not now'. It's always been difficult and expensive, there have always been more pilots than positions available. Good jobs rarely come easily in all walks of life. Someone has to do the job. Look at the incredible year on year expansion. Unfortunately training is incredibly expensive. The work is harder than ever. Pay seems to be going down fast. I would do it again......probably. Sadly it looks as if I would have been better going into what I considered for years a fate worse than death.....banking and the City. That is where the money is, for those that move upwards in it. But flying was good for me. It's sad it takes a King's ransom to train yourself up- I was fortunate indeed to have someone pay it for me (largely). Now the opportunity is not there. It depends if it is in your blood, like becoming a Doctor- you need a tremendous drive to go through all that work just as you need a tremendous drive to take on all that expense with all the uncertainty in aviation. Some little voice will tell you if it's right. But remember aviation is not contracting- there are more and more planes each year and they need young pilots to fly them- someone's got to....it may be anyone. Why not you. If the means are there or the willingness to take on incredible debt with no guarantee at the end of it, then think hard- nobody can answer for you. But don't live the rest of your life thinking 'I wish I'd found a way.......'.

PS what's the worry about 'safety'? It's one of the safest jobs. How many pilots actually get killed in airline-type commercial flying in the UK each year?

Last edited by Rainboe; 9th Aug 2005 at 09:20.