PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making sense of where to aerobat and what to wear
Old 8th Aug 2005, 18:50
cosworth211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft I fly aero's in (R2160i) I couldn't imagine being able to wear a parachute in, it's a very small cockpit with bucket seats. I therefore try and fly my aero's over either a disused airfield or flat farm land as my only option with EF would be a forced landing. The canopy is jetisonable on this type, but I expect this is to ensure quick exit after a forced landing.

I always fly 3-5000ft to try and minimise noise disturbance, however I will not practice over an area that would be more likely to jeapordise my safety or the safety of those in the ground in the event of a forced landing just to be "less annoying", it is an important issue, but as far as I'm concerned it comes way below safety in the event of engine failure. There is a limited amount of area in most regions where you can successfully complete your HASELL checks.

Line features are important for orienation, aerobatic manouvres in fairly featureless areas could lead to bad orientation, and could lead to difficulty to spin recovery, height judgement etc.

On a selfish note, the noise emitted from most aerobatic aircraft is far lower then that of the average superbike zooming around our streets, but no-one is campaigning to ban them....

Last edited by cosworth211; 8th Aug 2005 at 19:00.