PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Corner
Thread: R22 Corner
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2001, 21:39
HeloTeacher

Talking

Doing some reading and thinking aerodynamically, and I thought I'd pass on a couple items for thought.

(1)
With reference to the rigged neutral position on the R22 being right of center, a quote from "Rotary Wing Flight" talking about design features intended to overcome tranlating tendency [tail-rotor drift]:

^flight control rigging may be designed so the rotor disc is tilted slightly left when the cyclic conrol is centered^

(2)
as regards transverse flow effect, i find it hard to beleive the robbie ever gets going fast enough to stop seing the effects of this. as a result, it is quite likely that the left cyclic that would be required is being fed in by the notorious 18 degree offset (left component with forward cyclic movement).

(3)
how on earth did the whole delta-three thing start? what i've been reading about these hinges doesn't seem to apply at all??? it looks like a teeter and standard coning hinges to me.

(4)
the nose down tendency resulting from rolling into a left turn will be countered again by the notorious . 1 . 8 (sounds like a rap band). again this tends to explain why, in the cockpit, the aircraft behaves quite normally and not objectionably to the pilot. worth a thoughth.

(5)
found a good explanation of stick plots as well, and the typical plot was quite a zig-zag related to airspeed.

anyway, thought i'd pass it along, just the instructor in me, i can't let an incomplete explanation alone :-)