PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nats - A Law Unto Itself
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2005, 17:06
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be a trend that NATS have a company policy NOT to provide RAS in Class G from the reports posted here, I see that NorthSouth's quote is from the Airports division, but to clarify I as an en-route controller have in no way been told I cannot provide a RAS in Class G, and although seldom, have done so.

5miles baby, it is not unsubstantiated, have a chat with your colleagues on S9!
Widger, if only you knew the full irony in that statement. S9 only has Class B a/s FL245+ and CLASS F advisory route G4D. Most of the traffic FL245- is engaged in military activity, and the formations above FL245 are normally en-route to DA's or refuelling lanes, therefore the Military controllers work these flights to prepare for the task. As the Mil have those flights FL245- then it makes good sense for them to control any civil flights FL245- too so that all traffic is known and controllable. So why would we work giving a RAS in Class G on S9? Have I missed your point? Once again, you need to back up your points with examples so we can find where there may be a problem as if needed I know S9 provide RAS's when appropriate.

Although not providing a RAS was indeed a factor in Airprox 198/04 it is only a casual factor as the controller had no reason to provide any radar service at all, it depends on workload, other situations..blah..blah.