PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2005, 05:51
blueloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A disclaimer - all this is second hand info, so maybe someone in the know can verify or shed light on the substance of it:

When QF damaged a door on its A330, it merrily sent the jet to the hangar, took the door off, rang airbus and said how do we fix it. The response "what do you mean you have taken the door off? The door is part of the structure of the aircraft"

The reason I raise this is that if the door is part of the structure then in a moderate aircraft prang, I assume the fuselage will be distorted to some degree, thereby making door operation harder to impossible. Of course if the aircraft is in a smoldering wreck the door design is irrelevant.

is there a difference in design philosphy between Airbus and Boeing in doors (aside from the obvious A vs B differences) or because Airbus (like boeing) has to satisfy the FAA they should have similar standards?......

Does the evacuation aspect consider door and fuselage strength (i know boeing door frames are sigificantly re-enforced) or merely door size, assisted opening operations and escape slides?