PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2005, 02:33
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockhound

Re "ask the pilots", crisis management. All parties in the industry and particularly AF, Airbus and Toronto, will want this accident quickly forgotten by the traveling public. Best way to accomplish that is keep news to the bare minimum of soothing words. Thirty, forty years ago it might have been quite normal for a pilot to talk, get it off his chest, discuss, immediately after the event, with peers or perhaps with anyone who'd listen. Today it seems more the norm to keep those involved "sterile" until they can be interviewed in a formal environment. And to keep the results of those interviews reserved until the final report's issued.

I say this with a little trepidation because it's been a looong time since I've been directly involved in aviation. But I've seen the trend very much first hand in a related area of transport, marine. One thing US style litigation has taught us is to keep our traps tightly shut.

And you can bet your boots the Toronto accident litigation will last for years. Ironically, probably longer because everyone survived.

p.s. edited to note Rockhound's comment below re the FO being interviewed by TSB. I'd expect everything in that interview to have been recorded and signed off by all involved!

p.p.s. edited again to note 747focal's quoting (on a new thread which will probably be merged here) an article that comments on some of the slides not deploying. The article mentions a $62 million lawsuit brought by one of the passengers against AF and the airport for negligence. Here we go...

Last edited by broadreach; 7th Aug 2005 at 05:01.