PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Woomerii post comments on threads?
Old 6th Aug 2005, 09:37
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
TL, Centaurus, HH and Prospector

I thank you for your support on the matter. Perhaps it is the political atmosphere of the present day Australia in which we live that I and others am beginning to feel hard-fought and hard-won 18th and 19th century political notions are worth preserving. And if needs be, worth fighting for again.

WOOMERA 1

I hasten to say that I draw no inference of actual bias, nor of any malpractice by Woomerii. I have, however, been able to "make" the identity of at least one Woomerii by their posting style and I have suspicions about others

Again, for perhaps reasons of widespread political duplicity, there is a place today for some old-fasioned "rules of engagement" and some motherhood statements about what a Woomerii will and won't do.

We do not as Woomera have any agenda, save to provide the Forum for you to use according to the rules.
And that is as it should be. However, I think (and others have agreed) that the principle remains valid. TL has suggested posting as Woomera makes clear that a Woomera is posting, yet I remain unconvinced that argument is immune from bias by Woomeral input.

The very fact that we are delicately picking our way around this hypothetical moral conumdrum is, to me, evidence that the rule should be imposed to save any further question. Impose the rule and put it beyond contemplation.

To draw an analogy, Woomerii are police appointed by the PPRuNe state; off-duty police might drink-drive, speed, kick the dog or whatever - they have their own views and moral beliefs when they knock off at end of shift. HOWEVER when they are in uniform they enforce the rules of the state regardless of their personal beliefs.

When a Woomera wears their police uniform they are acting as an arm of the PPRuNe State - or at least that is the perception!

Once a Woomera starts weighing into political and moral argument - for whatever purpose, legitimate or otherwise - can PPRuNer's lobby Woomerii for an endorsement of their personal views? To draw this to an extreme, we all know how PPRuNe wants funding... and how a certain multi-millionaire seeks support for his political campaign!

Woomera 2
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a controversial Woomera comment based solely on personal opinion, rather on moral or ethical grounds...
With all due respect sir, I submit that morals and ethics are the most deeply personal and subjective of grounds.

On a personal note:

Unless I am mistaken you have been the unwilling subject of one decision ....
If that is the case I do not recall the occasion, and certainly I do not inhabit my aparrent dementia with any malice or spite towards you, Woomera 1, nor any other Woomera or Moderator.

Woomera 2

if you knew my "alter ego" then please Email me his password - I think I have changed ISPs and left him stranded. He has told me recently he would like make a comeback Send me a PM also because I have lost touch with many PPRuNer friends over intervening years.