PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2005, 19:03
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is all beginning to sound just like an afternoon at JFK some 20 years ago. I was, at the time, in the left seat of the DC-10 with a Part 121 Carrier based at JFK.

There were thunderstorms all over Long Island and the weather radar was mostly "red". Needless to say there were big ATC delays.

Eventually we were positioned on to finals to 04R and was it ever wet! I had already very carefully briefed a 50 flap landing (normally we used 35 flap - 50 flap produced an airframe vibration which "The passengers didn't like"). Autothrottle was taken out and I hand- flew the approach with every intention of doing a firm landing on the wet runway. All went well after a very interesting approach.

We eventually got down to the hotel which was right on the edge of JFK, had a quick change, and then met in the bar for a well-deserved cold beer.

"Have you looked out the window" said my excellent American F/E?

There just outside the window was an SAS DC-10-30 off the end of the same runway with its nose in Jamaica Bay!

He had been going round the hold a couple of thousand feet above us in the very unpleasant weather but his flight had not ended as happily as ours.

Later in the bar, one of the local FAA inspectors told us that the other guy had:

a. Used 35 flap for passenger comfort.
b. Kept the autothrottle in (which tended to give a bit of a float).
c. Didn't get it on the ground until halfway down the runway.
d. When the F/O suggested a G/A made the comment that he wasn't going back up into that bloody awful weather.

Once again, nobody got killed but it was a hell of a sad way to end a flight (and probably a career).

Drastic weather requires drastic skills!

PS. The aeroplane was eventually dragged back up onto JFK and was put in the PanAm hangar. Fedex bought it and I presume it is still gainfully employed.