PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2005, 17:52
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with some who may be thinking that this accident is starting to look similar to the MD80 accident in Little Rock on 6/1/99. Here's a link to a NTSB produced video (5MB, and an old avi format which required me to download the file to my desktop to play it) of the landing done by that flight crew in similar weather conditions.

Added: forget that other video, this is a much better version of the same video at 2.2MB and much better quality.

AA Flight 1420 MD80, Little Rock, AR

Some of the similar characteristics are the long touchdown, departing the end of the runway at a fairly high speed, similar weather, etc.

One of the more interesting findings of flight 1420, was that the spoilers failed to deploy because the weather conditions during the landing basically fooled the spooler auto-deploy system. Thus wheel braking was ineffective due to continued wing lift and the lack of weight on the wheels.

It's possible that the A340 spoiler auto-deploy system was fooled in this case as well, but we'll see what the investigators have to say.

Last edited by Flight Safety; 5th Aug 2005 at 18:13.