PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of Heights
Thread: Fear of Heights
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2005, 22:31
yawningdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been flying since I was 17 and I'm now 37. If I go flying on a perfectly clear cloudless day above 3000ft, it is very likley I will experience some very uncomfortable anxiety. Sweaty palms, monotone RT, heightened anxiety, general feeling of "unsafeness". An agoraphobic reaction. The human mind's natural reaction to being in a potentially unsafe environment.

As a result of this I very much prefer to fly in marginal or IFR conditions, where there is less visual exposure.

It's a real shame, but it hasn't stopped me from flying, I have learned to live with it. This feeling of anxiety appeared after a 10 year break from flying. I was so surprised when it first happened that I undertook a lot of research and interviews in order to try and confront it.

My own way of handling the problem is to:

- FLY ONLY WHEN WELL RESTED.
- KEEP IN CURRENT FLYING PRACTICE.
- Eat a balanced meal before the flight, no coffee etc.
- Keep physicaly fit.
- Plan every part of the flight to the absolute tiniest detail.
- Concentrate of perfect airmanship.
- Fly in an aircraft with some sort of wing leveler or autopilot. (Not that you would need the autopilot, but the fact that its there is very reasuring)

My advice is don't let your body stop you from doing what you love, flying. Learn to deal with it. It may fade away, or it may linger forever, but it won't defeat you!

If anyone feels that it might be useful for them, I would be very happy meet and talk about the issue.