PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making sense of where to aerobat and what to wear
Old 4th Aug 2005, 21:52
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making sense of where to aerobat and what to wear

Another thread provoked my thoughts, although they would have been slightly off topic there.

In England, unlike much of the continent, parachutes are not required for aerobatics. I have always suspected it would be pretty difficult to exit the typical aerobatic aircraft should the need arise. What’s peoples views.

On the other thread some justification was made for aerobating in a particular area because it afforded an airfield and sufficient height before the base of TMA. I am not convinced of the justification for wanting to operate above disused airfields because there would seem to be very very few instances of engine failure while aerobating. I appreciate some types without injected systems are prone to the engine temporarily stopping and I would agree that at least a satisfactory farmers field in the “box” makes sense. What about airspace? A TMA base of 5,500 would seem adequate with the possible exception of spinning?

What other requirements make sense. A line feature is certainly handy.

All of these factors add up to what defines a suitable area in which to aerobat and whether or not to go off wearing parachutes. There may be other factors such as is the area a good one for avoiding too much other passing traffic and what about giving the locals a break from the noise as raised on the other thread. What do we think?