PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change required...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2001, 14:01
collective bias

Thumbs up

Well rebutted SPS,
My intention with the statement 'remove the cowboys' is related to introducing levels of competence higher than currently set. This is a local area term and not justified for the wannabies.
The competitive nature of the training industry is part of the problem. Pushing students through CPL's is the name of the game. They are not accurately accessing individuals worth for the industry they are training for. They are only satisfied to see the minima of skill reached and is boarderline irresponsible. I think they do somewhere during the process recognise that the student is not to standard, but, if you have money & time....
The money orientation and desperation to survive is driving them. Additionally they are training people for a market that is saturated. In OZ I met a guy who went from go to CPL in 4 months. He had no exposure to aviation before that point. He never even trained in a winter environment because he had finished before the change of season. He had the absolute minimum confined/bush exposure and was up in the NT, trying to figure out 40+ degrees C and DA's of 4500+ feet...
No wonder we have so many accidents. Check and training is often non-existent with these small companies and the new pilots are expected to perform increasingly more complex tasks without a core foundation of quality training.