PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change required...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2001, 09:42
collective bias

Angry Change required...

Does anyone know the percentages of pilots who achieve a CPL, and then fail to get a job. I once heard that in NZ 1% of CPL's finally enter the workforce. This is sad for the individuals and sad for those working. Some of these people were never going to make it and should have been culled early in the peace. They cause the excess supply and drive the wages down. The civilian system allows too many persons who the military would've dropped to acquire licences simply by spending and spending to finally make the minimum grade. Its my opinion that if you can't show competence and ability through each stage of your licence, the system should MAKE you go. I have lost count of the worthless individuals I have worked with that struggle with the basics of aircraft handling. Yet somehow they get through on pity and luck, into an industry that really doesn't need their incompetence.
In Australasia we have 400hr instructors teaching people to fly. A 400hr instructor has nothing to give to a student but the very very very basics. These people are also struggling and will never turn away the chance to fly, or the dollars. Result - more incompetence.
In Australia you can achieve a CPL with 105hrs. Your can re-sit the exams endlessly and lets face it you don't have to be a rocket scientist to learn the material.
Literally dozens of 105hr wannabes show up at the doorstep of the hangar wanting a job. Some trial period later they are given a check flight and 75% fail MISERABLY. They somehow achieved the minimum standard but did not learn to fly or read an aircrafts handling. AND THIS IS DOING CIRCUTS!!!
We need major O/H of the licencing requirements. Helicopter aviation needs to remove the cowboy element and raise the bar. The minimum standard should be the ATPL theory. You will never need all that knowledge but it will deter the dreamers. As with most countries the hours requirement needs to be 150hrs. IFR exposure training (simulator minimum) needs to be mandatory. If you cannot fly your aircraft in all conditions, then you need to learn.
Sorry for the depression I have caused in the wannabees and for the whinging, I have more to gripe about and I do have some answers.
but gotta go....
Problem: Too many low time pilots, not enough jobs. Problem creates Supply and demand govern everything in life and those at the bottom or not far from it in the aviation industry are