PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Double Pilot Incapacitation, EZY
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2005, 17:15
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the thread seemed to be started with the sole aim of heaping opprobrium on easyJet, as is the poster's wont, I just wondered how BOTW was feeling after seeing the thread drift off to the general subject of food poisoning?
So, in the interests of keeping the thread on subject, let me say that I have also experienced the effects of such poisoning.
The culprit was a well-known pub close to a church tower near Gatwick Airport, much frequented by night stopping crews. Dinner was taken, along with a modicum of alcohol.
The next morning before we left, we lost the first of our cabin crew, replaced by a standby. About one hour into the flight to Tenerife the second cabin crew succumbed to the same symptoms. On the ground in Tenerife, the FO fell ill and spent the whole of the turn-around on the toilet. Faced with this situation, the Captain called for a complete replacement crew to be flown to Tenerife to rescue the flight. The company, naturally enough, wanted to replace just the sick crewmembers. The Captain insisted, fortunately. Lo and behold, within a few hours, the rest of the crew suffered similar symptoms, to varying degrees.
The time from eating to the onset of the symptoms varied from around nine hours to fourteeen hours or so. The Captain was the last to suffer, probably because his gut has seen the most abuse!
The pub in question has been mentioned to me on many occasions as the source of such illness and should, in my opinion, be avoided at all costs!

Last edited by rubik101; 4th Aug 2005 at 17:38.