PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your scariest moment in a helicopter?
Old 15th Aug 2001, 13:53
huey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Collective Bias,
Great story that might explain what happened to me and a colleage in a B47g.
Flying between Mackay and Rockhampton 1500AGL,overcast but no significant wind,we were suddenly and very violently flipped nose up and over to the right full up collective,all hands and feet off both sets of controls (we had the duals in),baggage in front of us, floating,the biggest,scariest vibrations snd noise you can imagine and a very high rate of descent and spinning.I honestly thought we were dead, we were spinning so violently that neither of us could get our hands back on the controls and I'm not scared to admit I was screaming like a baby.Miraculously at about 500AGL the machine(Christine we like to call her now!) came right way up,albeit still vibrating and an RRPM of 200-250,**** the tails gonna come off now, was the only thing going through my head as I desperately tried to wind on throttle.Well the RRPM didnt recover before we managed to land quite gently in a paddock,got out looked the machine over and obviously in a state of shock, got back in and flew the remaining hour to Rocky.

Hopefully thats gonna be my only fright in a Helicopter,I dont think the heart can take much more.

Nick