PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your scariest moment in a helicopter?
Old 14th Aug 2001, 00:34
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
Unhappy

We were in an AS332L over a Norwegian airfield at twilight, approaching the hover at 2500 feet.

Something, unexplained to this day, went catastrophically wrong. There was a heavy jolt and suddenly we lost all cyclic, collective and yaw control.

The rotor rpm fell to zero although both engines were providing almost full power. The aircraft fell vertically out of the sky, completely out of control. We were no longer flying but falling.

Over and over we tumbled, bunting nose down, end over end, the world spinning crazily before our eyes. The ground became a blur as it rushed towards us. We were thrown forward against our straps. The rear crew began shouting and I could hear sickening thuds as he was dashed from side to side in the cabin. The co-pilot looked across at me with a horrified look on his face as the tarmac rushed up to meet us.

I knew then we were doomed but I kept fighting, fighting the controls to the end.

Even now, night after night, it comes back to haunt me.