PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2005, 02:48
4potflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad everyone got off OK - that is amazing.

Hold on... The photo on page A11 of to-day's Globe & Mail shows the AC DC-9 that went off what was then 23L on June 28, 1978 (the runway has been presumably re-aligned since then). If you look at the picture you can see the skid marks of the aircraft at about a 40 degree angle to the centreline of the runway.
In the US runways are numbered by magnetic bearing - I assume they are in Canada too? Therefore occasionaly they change number as mag North moves around. I suspect that is why 23L in 1978 is 24L now...

It will be interesting to see exactly what led to the first go around. In hindsight looks like another go around was probably in order.

Can some A340 Pilots give some idea of the sophistication of the Autoland, which I assume must have been flying the plane in that kind of weather?

Clearly from the photos and witnesses the reverse thrusters were working, so you would assume the aircraft systems and therefore the ABS was working too.

Is it possible severe windshear on landing could make the autoland land really long, or is 24L a pretty tight space to stop an A340 with that much water coming down? It does not look like the tyres popped either from the photos, so it can't have landed 'that' hard...