PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which height is right?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2000, 14:22
SPS

Like the formula for GE (eyeballs) etc.!!

Just perfect for me in one of those almost no wind autos to the ground! (No buttons left on seat in eariler times!)

ShyTorque- OK, I get another ribbing over 22's and take it in good spirit but I really was trying to discover (or make up between us) a formula for ALL helis, proper or otherwise!

212 - Well, to be fair I may have over generalised to get the idea over quickly.
It wasn't so much the landing site or the size of it that was the point but to bring out the significance of skid height in preference to disc height.

I agree that skid height is more relevant to a Pilot and this will be changed in my teachings and my book. Not 'because', but out of a desire to give the best and most accurate tuition I possibly can, for my own
satisfaction and future pilot safety.

I also think there must be some GE wherever you land, (depending on the surface, of course) although I agree that it could be minimal and uneven (which brings its own set of problems).

Its one of those times when you have to teach something specific so a student can answer questions in exams and quite another when you are out in the hills. I come up against that every day in one form or another.

I wonder if this is why I seldom meet another Lecturer/Instructor, the contrast being a problem? I've met many of both but
I can't remember the last person I met that did the two jobs at the same time.

The two threads, this one and the 'CC' underline some of the difficulty that arises
when an exam has questions that are not type specific - And now I am revealing my train of thought - That it just isn't good enough, too much generalistion by someone who may not
even be a Heli pilot can and does cause lots of ambiguety.

Enough of my ranting ! Thanks all.

BFN SPS