PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Double Pilot Incapacitation, EZY
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2005, 17:18
grimmrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop time to food poisoning

To get some clarification on food poisoning:
Food poisoning can be caused by various microorganisms including viruses - with various symptoms. They will typically manifest as a mixture of nausea, vomiting, fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea. However, some foodborne diseases may have other symptoms. Botulism and some types of shellfish poisoning can present with paralysis, hepatitis A or E with hepatitis and Listeria monocytogenes with meningitis or spontaneous abortion.

Pathogens can either produce toxins a) already in the food (usually rapid onset of clinical signs within 1 to 6 hours or so), b) once they have been ingested (takes longer so symptoms occur later, i.e. after 24 hrs., Cholera is a typical example) or c) they can cause disease by either damaging the epithelial cell surface or by actually invading across the intestinal epithelial cell barrier. This group of pathogens can produce a wide spectrum of clinical presentations

Vomiting, nausea and abdominal cramps, fever and/or diarrhea are common symptoms. S. aureus toxin is heat-stable and is often associated with the consumption of foods prepared by a food handler.

Conclusion: it can start very fast within an hour or so (or on the next day). Better keep this in mind, as it makes sense not to eat the same stuff in the same strange sushi bar the night before...
And no, I am not a pilot but yes I am a physician.

Regards

Last edited by grimmrad; 3rd Aug 2005 at 18:21.