PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jessica Starmer - BALPA's view (Update - Appeal decision)
Old 3rd Aug 2005, 07:34
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'thegypsy', thank you for saying - (at last!) - after 24 pages on this thread and almost as many on the earlier thread, in one succinct paragraph, what I suspect the vast majority of pilots feel about the lady's stance.

I can't help but feel that there are many aspiring young women aviators out there who'll be sticking pins into JS dolls as they review what this lady had done to their employment prospects - and I can't say I'd blame them one bit for doing so.

I see this case as a sort of 'Enoch Powell moment' for women pilots. (I think most people old enough to remember the reactionary stance taken by many old and bold male pilots when women pilots first started appearing in our ranks will understand what I'm getting at with that comment.)

Thanks to her exercising her rights far earlier than many would feel is reasonable, there will now be some recruiters who'll convienently forget the 99.99% of female pilots who've put in the not so pleasant years with a a low seniority number and worked as hard as their male contemporaries, and remember only one, the redoubtable Ms Starmer.