PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody Knows How many Self-TypeRated are Unemployed?
Old 2nd Aug 2005, 20:16
StudentInDebt

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
1500TT on 152s or shepherding PPLs around in a PA28 really bears very little relation to programming the computer/managing the FCU to fly 70 tonnes in tightly-controlled airspace using minimum fuel/time
I guess thats why my employer recruited me to fly 180 tonnes of aeroplane, I obviously had too many "single-crew, light-prop" hours to be trusted to fly a mere 70 tonnes.
So guys, stop thinking all your single-crew light prop hours make you attractive. If you are deadly serious, and somewhat impatient, start thinking about the total economics of a type rating/line training followed by years of an FO salary. You will soon see that instructing or boring circles in the sky pays less/costs you more (net) over 3 years, and you may still never get you into the right seat of a jet.
Oh and they paid for my type-rating and all my line training, that plus the expense claims and cost of accomodation during my course!! This far exceeded the 3 years salary I was paid whilst instructing, what a terrible deal, I should have paid for it all myself

If you have undertaken an SSTR then fair play, if you have done so and gotten a job then even better. Please remember that there are more ways to skin a cat though and whilst you may find instructing an unattractive route there are many of us who took it and actually enjoyed it even though we moaned (alot) at the time