PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing tests electric motor for airliners
Old 2nd Aug 2005, 19:48
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Electric powered cars have been a pipe dream for me for 25 years. One of the things that I have become ‘certain’ about, is that the windings or stators will have to be in the periphery of the wheels. i.e. no drive train and high torque.

An aircraft might have the non wound part of the motors in the main-wheel rims and devices that travel with the aircraft, perhaps owned by the airport, that then peel off at the appropriate time. This way there is no need for the aircraft to power the units and most of the added weight gets left behind.

As for operational suitability. Well, not to make use of the energy for takeoff would be a blatant waste of potential, but most crew have a high enough work-load at commencement of roll anyway…monitoring the departure of any device still in the equation at this late stage, is perhaps more than should be undertaken. We certainly couldn’t just trust the system to leave the aircraft cleanly.

One thing is certain, we cannot keep wasting fuel the way we do now, and computer controlled devices will be taking us to the holding point, liberating the crew to start an monitor the engines at an appropriated time. It’s just a matter of deciding on a system.