PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 2nd Aug 2005, 12:23
Scudsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please ask them if there is a chance you could be recruited onto the A310 fleet. EK are getting more of these aircraft. One will be passenger fit (they have it already) and the others will be freighters. If they offer you a position it will be a "take it or leave it offer". If you try and stall for time (as a friend of my did) you will not be considered again in the future. During interview you will be asked to come up with a time frame in which you will be ready to join EK. They will say, "How much notice do you need to give your employer? The answer you give us now, we will hold you to". This surprised me during the interview but I understand why now. They don't want people saying "Oh! I'll just wait until I can join the fleet of my choice". They also want a "proof of resignation" letter from your employer, so they know you are coming. I'm not sure, but I think you'll only find out the fleet after you provide this letter (any one reading this with a recent experience opposing this possibility please let me know)

If you are offered a position they will not highlight which fleet you will be put on when the offer is made. It is simply an F/O position. They WILL answer to an e-mail or phone call enquiry. I found out the answer to this question after signing on the dotted line. At the time I wasn't worried about which fleet. The rules at EK are NOT what you may be used to (or in line with your friend's experiences) in the majority of other wide body operators. No "Transition upgrades". In other words you may be on the A310 fleet waiting for promotion on a "dead man shoes" basis only. How long would that be? Who knows? Could be a very, very long time hauling freight (mostly freight, but also horses, sometimes pax) on less pay than an Atlas pilot flying freight exclusively in a 747 in EK colours.

None of this may an issue to you and so good luck. But things are definitely changing in the industry and huge aircraft orders have been placed in this region and close by. The flight for your interview isn't cheap. And all that bother (and it is) for a freighter job? So perhaps you'd be wise to ask them by phone if any of this is a possibility before taking out your credit card. It wouldn't hurt your interview prospects in my opinion. You may be lucky and get on the 777 or the airbus 330, but the promotion prospects on the bus are very difficult to predict at the moment as the recruitment of DEC's (I'm not against them) is heavily relied on and the policy of "no transitions" (I'm against that) is NOT mentioned at interview stage. They may discuss it IF you ask them. Please do so; it will have implications for your career.

I'm not sure why but some of the 777 courses for new starters have not been filled by those that accepted the job. One course at least had to be completely cancelled! And that is on the "fast promotion" fleet. Is there anyone out there who can shed light on that?

Good luck