PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody Knows How many Self-TypeRated are Unemployed?
Old 2nd Aug 2005, 08:21
Arrowhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here goes for thost that did SSTRs (and line training)....

I know many people who did SSTRs. I know of only one that walked straight into a job, and that was with EZY before they stopped taking zero-houred pilots (outside the bizarre CTC selection/course).

All the rest of the guys who paid for their SSTRs also paid for some line training. 2 now work for Monarch. 1 for Ryanair. 1 for Air Asia. 2 at Livingstone. 1 at Eurofly. And another six or so (including me) flying the A320 in the Far East, and dont want to come back to the land of tax, traffic jams, bad weather, crime, etc.

If you look at why airlines dont want zero-houred guys, its because jets are really very different. You have a different set of skills and experience to those the airlines require. 1500TT on 152s or shepherding PPLs around in a PA28 really bears very little relation to programming the computer/managing the FCU to fly 70 tonnes in tightly-controlled airspace using minimum fuel/time. Also, landing technique is much more precise (ie less forgiving), handling/momentum is a big issue, and most importantly personality is everything. Many of the people on the boards here demonstrate either a lack of maturity. Really, how would you like to sit next to many of the guys who post on the boards here, for eight or nine hours non-stop, with no-one else to talk to? And God forbid there was a technical problem....

So guys, stop thinking all your single-crew light prop hours make you attractive. If you are deadly serious, and somewhat impatient, start thinking about the total economics of a type rating/line training followed by years of an FO salary. You will soon see that instructing or boring circles in the sky pays less/costs you more (net) over 3 years, and you may still never get you into the right seat of a jet.

If the job market really picks up over the next year, we can all celebrate at how minimal jet experience and bizarre personality tests will be put away. Until then, I would encourage everyone to at least speak to AeroMadrid, Eaglejet and Contractair....